Improve access to ads of different status'

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:19 AM

This follows on from testing the results of issue #5823

During testing I found that..

After denying approval, there is no way for the module editor to access the ad ever again unless the submitter submits it again.

And...

Once an advert is approved, the module editor can view and edit the advert, but cannot change its status or withdraw it. The only option is to delete it.

In my view, the module editor should be able to view, edit, and change the status of any advert at any time. Currently, the Validate option is mixed in with the Types dropdown, and it only displays there when an ad requires validation. The suggestion is to expose the status dropdown to module editors, thus allowing them to find and alter any advert, regardless of status.

Regards,
Rob

Developer
Mar 31, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Looks like I missed something in the cleanup of the behavior on the Ad Status drop-down - before, there was an issue where anyone could change the ad status and it would lock it down during saving of the ad.  At current, even as a host administrator (who should have ALL rights regardless) I can't change the status either.

I will mark this and get on it right away!  This might wind up as a patch until the next beta release as it needs to be addressed sooner than later.

As for denied ads - this functionality had not been in my sights much due to some of the other major issues going on inside the module.  I will add two more items to the dropdown to atleast enable access to the declined ads and see what that involves - I do believe this one will be on the roadmap with the email enhancements. 

The lack of emails other than a notification when the module has one that needs validation has always been an issue - there never were more than one email in the source code that I could find.  This is what drove me into enhancing email issues back when you and I were testing v1.00.11 beta.  There should definitely be more notifications - one for denied ads and one for ads once they are approved.

Thanks for your input!

Developer
Mar 31, 2010 at 1:19 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2010 at 1:19 PM

robax --

Would you check one issue for me?

When an ad is denied, it should still be accessible by the poster of the ad when they log in and change the list view to "Your Ads" - it should re-appear in the list as "Approval Declined" - if so, the only workflow issue would be to add the item "Declined Ads" to the drop down for users possessing editor rights and up - do you agree?  This would change list view to pull Declined ads into the datagrid (such as "Validate" does for 'pending' ads).

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:27 AM

ok back again now after a short holiday!

Yes, that's correct, the registered user who has posted an ad can still sign in and access it via the "Your ads" list view.

The issue is really that without an email notification about the rejection, they won't get that far. And the module editor/validator role also cannot access the ad after the initial rejection. It means that rejecting an ad effectively puts it into a black hole.

Allowing module editors to view and edit rejected ads is a step forward. They could then at least email the submitter and suggest or apply a change to the content.

Regards,
Rob